Gardening at 'Nirulavilas' in New Delhi (Zone 10a)
Flowering plants, trees and other gardening information for New Delhi.
- Updated April 10, 2011-- New images added at the beginning of the slideshow.
I will add more images and albums here from time to time, as well as plant information.
Click on the arrow/pause button below to start/stop an automatic slide-show (small images), or click any image and then manually control the viewing experience (large images). Use the slider bar or your mouse for scrolling.
Return to the homepage from Gardening
Gardening Calendar for April
(Sowing time for annuals that flower January-April onward is October-November.)
In April we can sow these seeds, preferably by mid-April:
- Cosmos; hardy yellow, pink and red flowers beloved by beneficial insects especially Monarch butterflies.
- Gaillardia; bright redish-orange to yellow flowers.
- Vinca--hybrids and the wild variety. The wild variety is locally known as sadabahaar--'flowering all seasons'.
- Gomphrena, wild looking pink and white fuzzy flowers. Flower long into summer.
- Celosia, cockscomb, various types. (Celosia cristata 'Jewelbox' below--mail order seeds from UK.
- Zinnia: short flowering season, so better to plant in containers (pots).
- Caladium (bulbs) for ornamental leafy plant, needs semi- shade, moisture. In its natural habitat grows under tropical forest canopies where there is dappled sunlight and sufficient humidity, not dry heat. (Avoid over-watering also.)
- Gloriosa superba lily --a climbing lily (bulb).